Social media marketing has become a thing today. Businesses and brands are constantly discovering the benefits of social media marketing. This also makes it an in-demand niche in digital marketing. So today, I would be sharing with you seven tips on how to start social media marketing for beginners.
The tips are quite universal and can be implemented by just anyone as well. So if you need some guide to social media marketing in the Netherlands, Australia, USA, Ghana or anywhere in the world, go ahead and read on.
What is Social Media Marketing?
First thing first, what is social media marketing? It is simply that process set in place to build awareness about you, your business, products or services
There are several popular social media platforms today such as Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Linkedin, Pinterest, Tik Tok, Whatsapp and Instagram.
This variety has further availed digital marketers avenues to build and grow their business.
Why Social Media Marketing is Important
Social marketing is the new marketing. A carefully put together social media marketing strategy makes it possible to build relationships with people that engage with your social platforms.
Social media marketing is very important because:
- it is a veritable tool to spread the word fast about what you want to talk about. Be it, a product, movement or what have you. With social media, you can go viral fast, if you know what you are doing.
- gives you that numbers advantage. The trend now is to have people use these platforms. This has in turn made it easier to figure and locate where potential clients are congregated.
Prior to social media, we had traditional marketing. Television, radio and billboards were mediums to reach people for advertisements. Today, social media platforms have now birthed a powerful means to reach persons the traditional medium could never have.
The Goal of Social Media Marketing
The ultimate goal of any social media marketing campaign is to
- drive traffic to a website,
- increase the visibility of a product or service,
- gain more social media followers, or
- find more new customers.
Types of Social Media Marketing
There are two basic branches when you talk about social media marketing. Paid and organic social media
Organic Social media marketing
This social media marketing will help if you are running low on budget. The coolest thing about it is the fact that when done correctly, it drives natural engagement. This entails you sharing and driving sales as well as awareness without having to run a paid advert.
To pull this off and succeed, you must consider the following:
- Give value
- Share this value with your ideal audience
- Get comfortable with sharing free content. This would help to build your Know, Like and Trust (KLT) factor
- Tweak who can interact with each post bearing the target audience in mind. This is however only possible with Facebook pages
Despite organic social media marketing is free, you must be willing to pay for it with your input.
Paid for social media marketing
This is media marketing that puts you, your products or services before a “paid for” target audience. With any of the popular social platforms, small and big businesses can run adverts within their budget.
Finding a balance between paid and organic marketing should be a goal for your brand.
The Career of Social Media Marketing for beginners
It would interest you to know that you can build a career with social media marketing skills. There are companies that hire persons with the skill set. You must not own a business to be a social media marketer.
7 Simple tips on Social Media Marketing for beginners
So you have probably heard how you can make some extra bucks with social media marketing. You know this is something you can do but don’t quite know how to get started, let’s get you off on a great note.
So whether you opt for paid or organic social media marketing, I got you covered.
Decide which social media platform(s) to use. In as much as there are various social media platforms, you must settle for one or two as a beginner.
A great way to determine which to go with is to study your competition. Now, this could be a bad decision if you don’t have something unique to offer. So make sure you have that unique edge that would draw a new audience to you.
If you also choose to try a platform not previously populated by your ideal audience, be sure to serve them from a point that works for the new platform.
After settling your preferred platform(s), optimize your social media profiles. With a well-optimized profile, your chance of getting more visible and by extension more followers increases.
- Perish the idea of using just random images as profile pictures. Use a real photo. One that shows your face with a decent background. Remember that you are trying to build authority here. People connect with people they can relate with.
- A compelling description of yourself is a powerful way to position yourself. A brief story about your expertise and background. Feel free to include any detail that makes your brand stand out as well.
- Include links to your other platforms across the web. Depending on which platform you are on, link allowance might vary. A tool like linktree can help you organise all into one link.
It is also important you connect your website or blog with your social media pages. In fact, you should have social media pages for your business or brand. That you focus on a few platforms to run marketing campaigns doesn’t stop you from having social media handles on a few more platforms.
Also, consider adding social media buttons on your website or blog.
Build Valuable Relationships
Find and follow the influencers in your niche. While at it, keep a balance between those you follow and your followers.
Interact with those who make out time to engage with your post. Do go out of your way too. Be generous with commenting and engaging with others as they share content on their timelines.
Share Massive Value
Make your followers feel like they are indebted to you by sharing value for free. Every now and then, post interesting content (text, images, videos). You should also find your brand voice and ensure to communicate with it consistently.
Talking about Staying consistent, you can’t afford to keep your audience in the dark. One day on, three weeks off. I tried both ends and found that consistency with sharing content pays off.
To build your skills with paid marketing, Learn and implement fast. The industry is constantly evolving, so must you. Enrolling on certification courses like the Facebook blueprint program and LinkedIn learning is a good start.
You should definitely stay up to date with happenings in the social media world.
In conclusion, social media marketing for beginners is very much doable. You just need to understand what you currently have and what you need to start putting the pieces together.
I wish you all the best in your new quest as a social media marketer.